Sunday, February 9, 2014

Retreat...

So, it has been awhile since I added any little mini-bursts of inspiration here.  I admit it.  I mean, who can argue with the evidence, correct?  The truth is that, in the back of my head was that reprimand, or warning, at least, heard from a parent who said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."  I've had my moments of being in a funk over the past few months - one of those times when I'm asking lots of questions of myself, and trying to sort out how I feel about many things going on in my life, and how I'm going to handle them.  Lots of "me" stuff that is way too boring or seemingly self-absorbed for other people, so I have retreated. 
 
Knocking around in my head then, for a few weeks, was the notion that, if I could just get to the ocean and stretch my vision out to the horizon, and watch the surf roll in, I could re-charge.  That has always been the case before.  There is something infinite and eternal in the ocean - different from any other natural setting - that reboots my brain and soul.  Every time.  And last weekend was my time to finally be able to drive the 50 miles to the shore on a sunny winter day, and smell the salt air, ride the ferry chased by hoards of seagulls, and then finish off the day with some fried shrimp - all the while, keeping the water and the horizon in sight.  There was actually little to no surf.  It is almost bizarre to look at an ocean that is calm as an early morning lake, but that was the case that day.  However, even the minimum 15 freight ships waiting offshore did not obstruct the view of that glorious line between the earth and sky that reminds one of the immensity of our world, and puts life in better perspective.
 
I have not yet solved the puzzle of what 2014 will bring.  I know it will be an adventure, and will mean stepping out of my comfort zone a bit, but I have faith that the Lord will be alongside, as always.  Ever faithful.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment