Monday, July 8, 2013

Fleeting moments...

This evening, upon returning from work, I went to get my mail, and found one of my dear, sweet neighbors stretched out on the porch with 2 women kneeling over her, trying to get her to respond.  As  I checked with them to see if they were CPR trained and to offer my help, I could hear the sirens in the distance announcing the approaching ambulance and EMTs.  They said she still had a pulse, but as we monitored her, she stopped breathing completely. One gave 2 rescue breaths, but I could see that they did not go in.  She said she couldn't get anything in. The EMTs arrived.  I stepped aside - the EMT listened with a stethoscope and said he had a heartbeat, but before his partner returned with the AED, he started chest compressions.  I moved into the hallway, and pointed the way for the rest of the fire department crew.  As they set up the AED and cut away her clothing, I left with a heavy heart...wanting to afford her the dignity of not continuing to watch as they stripped away her dignity in an effort to save her life.  I don't know whether they were able to bring her back, but there was no light in her eyes when I walked away.

I walked down the halls to my front door, sobbing for this sweet lady and her family. If she is in heaven, then God give her a peaceful rest and comfort to all of us whom she befriended.

No comments:

Post a Comment